Below are the lists of video formats which are supported by different Video Players you select in Video Extension > Video Post > Player for Video Files:
NOTE: Not all web hosts allow these files to be uploaded. Also, they may not allow uploading large files. If you are having issues, please check with your host first.
- 1. Native WordPress Player: support the following Video Format
- 2. JWPlayer 7 officially supports 2 Video File formats: MP4 and WebM. For full reference, please check out https://support.jwplayer.com/customer/portal/articles/1403635-media-format-reference
- MP4 videos using the H.264 video codec and the AAC audio codec. MP4 is of high quality and can be played in all browsers and devices. It is today’s video format of choice.
- WebM videos using the VP8 video codec and the Vorbis audio codec. WebM is royalty free and of comparable quality to MP4. It has limited browser and device support.
NOTE: You need to turn OFF the Use JW Player Settings option in Video Extensions > Video Post > Player for Video File, if you use the .FLV video format.
|Container||video codec||audio codec|
|MP4||H.264 aka MPEG-4 AVC or MPEG-4 Part 10||AAC|
- These unofficially supported Video formats should be re-encoded for best compatibility with HTML5: avi, FLV, MOV, RMTP, 3gp, wmv, mkv
- 4. JS Player: support 3 types of Video Format:mp4, WebM, Ogv & unofficial MOV
- 5. Native Browser Player (HTML 5 Player): support 3 types of Video Format: MP4, WebM, Ogg for both Video File and Video Embed code.
- NOTE: Although this player isn’t included in the Player for Video File options when you selected WordPress native player but your video is Direct Link instead of Self-hosted Video File, then this player will be loaded.
- Below is information of browser support for each different format. For more details, please check out https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp
|Opera||YES (from Opera 25)||YES||YES|